[AS PASSED BY THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY]
A Bill to provide for the establishment of South Asian Strategic Stability Institute (SASSI) University, Islamabad.
WHEREAS it is expedient to provide for the establishment of South Asian Strategic Stability Institute (SASSI) University at Islamabad and for matters connected with and ancillary thereto;
It is hereby enacted as follows:—
(i). Short title and commencement.
- This Act may be called the South Asian Strategic Stability Institute University Islamabad Act, 2013.
- It shall come into force at once.
(ii). Definitions.- In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context:
- “Academic Council” means the Academic Council of the University;
- “Authority” means any of the authorities of the University;
- “Affiliated institution” means Educational institution authorized by the board to conduct academic programs, research and development projects as approved by the University;
- “Board” means the Board of Governors of the University;
- “Board of trustees” means Board of Trustees of the University;
- “Chancellor” means the Chancellor of the University;
- “College” means a constituent college, department, Institute or Centers;
- “Commission” means the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan;
- “Constituent college” means an educational institution, by whatever manner described, maintained and administered by the University;
- “Controller” means the head of examination department of the University;
- “Dean” means the head of a faculty of the University;
- “Department” means teaching department of the University;
- “Director” means the head of an institute established as a constituent institute by the University;
- “Executive Committee” means the Executive Committee of the University;
- “Faculty” means an administrative and academic unit of the University consisting of one or more departments. It also includes any Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor or Lecturer, tutor, engaged whole time
or part-time by the University, or by a constituent college, institute or Center;
- “Government” means the Federal Government;
- “Institute” means an institute or Center, maintained and administered by the University;
- “Officer” means any officer of the University;
- “Patron” means the Patron of the University;
- “prescribed” means prescribed by the statutes, regulations or rules;
- “Professor Emeritus” means a retired Professor appointed by the Chancellor on honorary basis;
(iii). Establishment and incorporation of the University:
- There shall be established a University to be called as the South Asian Strategic Stability Institute University Islamabad, consisting of:
- the Patron, the Chancellor, the Vice-Chancellor, the members of the Board and the Board of Trustees;
- the members of Executive Committee, Deans, the Chairmen of the teaching departments and members of the Academic Council or any other Councils, Committee or Advisory Committees, as the Board of Governors may establish or authorize from time to time of the University;
- the members of the boards, committees and other bodies as the Board may establish;
- the members of the Faculties and students of the University and its constituent units in accordance with the terms prescribed from time to time, and all other; and
- such other officers and members of the staff as the Board may, from time to time, specify.
- The University shall be a body corporate by the name of South Asian Strategic Stability Institute (SASSI) University, having perpetual succession and a common seal, with powers, among others, to acquire and hold property, both movable and immovable, and to lease, sell or otherwise transfer any movable and immovable property which may have become vested in or been acquired by it.
- The principal seat of the University shall be at Islamabad and it may set up its campuses, colleges, institutes, offices, research or study centers and other facilities at such places in Pakistan as well as abroad as the Board of Governors may determine. The additional campuses shall be set up in other parts of the country, and in other parts of the world.
- Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force, the University shall have academic, financial and administrative autonomy, including the powers to employ officers, teachers and other employees on such terms as may be prescribed, subject to the terms of this Act.
- In particular and without prejudice to the authority granted to the Commission by the law, the Government or an authority or auditor appointed by the Government shall have no power to question the policy underlying the allocation of resources approved by the Board in the annual budget of the University.
(iv) Powers and purposes of the University- The University shall have the following powers, namely:
- to promote and dissemination of knowledge and technology and to provide education, training, research, demonstration and scholarship in such branches of learning, as it may determine.
- to make provisions for research, service to society and for the application, advancement and dissemination of knowledge by employing information technology including satellite, television, internet etc., or through conventional and innovative methods in the fields of management sciences, medical sciences, computer sciences, professional psychology strategic studies, security studies, environmental sciences, engineering as such other disciplines from the fields of natural and social sciences as it may determine;
- to determine courses for study at the under graduate level in its constituent units as well as in its affiliated institutions, centers and colleges;
- to prescribe courses of studies to be conducted by it and its affiliated constituents units and appropriate bodies;
- to hold examinations and to award and confer degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions to and on persons who have been admitted to and have passed its examinations under prescribed conditions;
- to prescribe the terms and conditions of employment of the officers, Faculty and other employees of the University;
- to affiliate itself or associate with any other Institutions or Universities and relevant bodies whether national or international;
- to pursue and coordinate research innovation and development;
- to decide teaching methods and strategies in order to ensure most effective research and academic program’s;
- to use the financial and other resources allocated to it for execution of its functions;
- to engage, where necessary, any persons on contract of specified duration and to specify the terms of each engagement;
- to confer honorary degrees or other distinctions on approved persons in the manner prescribed by the board of Governors in consultation with board of Trustees for the purpose;
- to confer degrees on the person who have carried out an independent research under prescribed conditions;
- to liaison with other research or academic organizations, industry and the relevant organizations or institutions to promote public private partnership, innovation and research, development, industrialization for the purposes of education, training and development;
- to provide for such instruction for persons not being students of the University as it may prescribe and to grant certificates and diplomas to such persons;
- to institute programs for the academic collaboration and exchange of students and Faculty between the University and other universities, educational institutions and research organizations, inside as well as outside Pakistan:
- to maintain linkages with alumni and the industry and the relevant bodies;
- to develop and implement fund-raising plans;
- to provide and support the academic development of the faculty of the University;
- to confer degrees on persons who have carried on independent research under prescribed conditions;
- to affiliate and disaffiliate educational institutions or relevant organizations under prescribes conditions;
- to inspect colleges and other educational institutions affiliated or seeking affiliation with it;
- to accept the examinations passed and the period of study spent by students of the University at other universities and places of learning equivalent to such examinations and periods of study in the University, as it may prescribe, and to withdraw such acceptance;
- to co-operate with other universities, public authorities or private organizations, inside as well as outside Pakistan, in such manner and for such purposes as it , may prescribe;
- to institute professorships, associate professorships, assistant professorships and lectureships and any other posts and to appoint persons thereto;
- to create posts for teaching, research, extension, administration and other related purposes and to appoint persons thereto;
- to recognize selected members of teaching staff of colleges or educational institutions admitted to the privileges of the University or such other persons, as it may deem fit, as University Faculty;
- to institute and award fellowships, scholarships, bursaries, medals and prizes under prescribed conditions;
- to establish teaching departments, schools, colleges, faculties, institutes, workshops, laboratories, Museums and other centers of learning for the development of teaching and research and to make such arrangements for their maintenance, management and administration as it may prescribe;
- to maintain order, discipline and security on campuses of the University and the colleges as per the rules and regulations of the University;
- to promote extra-curricular and recreational activities of the students and to make arrangements for promoting their health and general welfare;
- to demand and receive such fees and other charges as it may determine from time to time;
- to make provisions for research, advisory or consultancy services and with these objects to enter into arrangements with other institutions, public or private bodies, commercial and industrial enterprises relevant Government, International, Nongovernmental Bodies, under prescribed conditions;
- to enter into, carry out, vary or cancel contracts;
- to receive and manage property transferred and grants, contributions made to the University and to invest any fund representing such property, grants, bequests, trusts, gifts, donations, endowments or contributions and convert one kind of property into other in such manner as it may deem fit;
- to provide for the printing and publication of research and other works;
- to do all such other acts and things, whether incidental to the powers aforesaid or not, as may be requisite or expedient in order to further the objectives of the University as a place of education, learning and research; and
- to decide virtual, online and distance teaching methods and strategies in order to ensure the conduct of most effective educational and training programs in the light of policy on the subject made by the Board of trustees.
(v) University open to all classes, creeds, etc
- The University shall be open to all persons of either gender and of whatever religion, race, creed, class, color or domicile who qualify for the admission as set forth in the rules and regulations and the criteria and the policy maintained by the body and no person shall be denied privileges of the University on the ground of religion, race, caste, creed, class, color or domicile.
(vi) Teaching at the University
- All recognized teaching in various courses shall be conducted by the University or the colleges in the prescribed manner and may include lectures, tutorials, discussions, seminars, demonstrations and other methods of instruction as well as practical work in the laboratories, hospitals, workshops and other organizations as it
may deem appropriate.
The authority responsible for organizing recognized teaching shall be such as may be prescribed.